Dental x-rays are an essential diagnostic tool that provides detailed images of the inside of your tooth that we can't see with a visual exam. Most dental problems start inside the teeth or under the gums, and x-rays allow us to identify and treat them long before they cause discomfort or compromise your oral health.
But we understand the concerns that our patients have about unnecessary exposure, so we use state-of-the-art digital x-rays. Some reasons we choose digital x-rays are:
- They reduce your radiation exposure by about 70 percent compared to film x-rays
- The images are available immediately, so you don’t have to wait for films to be developed
- The highly-detailed nature of the images allows us both to see problems in their earliest stages.
- We can manipulate the images and make them larger or smaller so you can see the problem in detail.
- Since the images are digital, we don't have to dispose of any harmful chemicals.
If you have a high risk of cavities, the American Dental Association recommends bitewing x-rays at least every 18 months. Those who care for their teeth and have no ongoing conditions can go two years or longer between x-rays. But only you and Dr. Pham can determine what the optimal frequency of x-rays is in your case.
You can be confident that your safety is of the utmost importance to us, and we will never recommend x-rays without explaining why they’re needed and what we can learn from them. If it’s time for your routine checkup or you have questions about digital x-rays, please call our San Jose dental office to arrange an appointment.