It’s a fact of life that the whiteness of our smiles fade as we age. There’s a combination of factors that contribute to dull, stained, or yellow teeth, some of which you can control and others which you can’t.
Regardless of the reason for your faded smile, the good news is that your San Jose cosmetic dentist offers professional teeth whitening services to help you get back your radiant smile.
Professional Teeth Whitening in San Jose
But it’s a good idea to understand what contributed to a dull smile because there are steps you can take to ensure that your teeth stay white and bright.
- Staining foods: There’s a long list of foods that can stain your teeth, but coffee and red wine are two of the biggest culprits.
- Poor oral hygiene: Inconsistent brushing and flossing allow plaque and tartar to build up on your teeth and contribute to a dull or stained smile.
- Tobacco: Smoking deposits ugly brown stains on your teeth that can only be removed through professional teeth whitening.
- Age: As we age, dental enamel thins and exposes the layer of dentin beneath it, taking on a yellowish hue.
- Medications: Antibiotics like Tetracycline and Doxycilin can both cause intrinsic (inside the tooth) discoloration.
Treatments to Get Back Your Bright Smile
Teeth whitening is popular because it is an affordable cosmetic treatment that delivers dramatic results in a short amount of time. An in-office whitening session will produce noticeable results in just one appointment. Or, you can opt for a customized take-home whitening kit that you use over two weeks to see long-lasting results.
If your teeth are badly stained and don’t respond to teeth whitening, all is not lost. Treatments like porcelain dental veneers and cosmetic bonding both hide the staining and leave you with a bright new tooth surface. If neither is an option in your case, we may recommend a dental crown to conceal a badly discolored tooth.
Schedule a Teeth Whitening Appointment in San Jose
You can’t prevent all tooth staining, but we have plenty of ways to help restore your smile to its youthful brilliance. Call our San Jose dental office to schedule a teeth cleaning so we can explain all the teeth whitening options we offer.